Over the years we have received many questions and also experiences with WordPress. For this article, we compiled questions and experiences about WordPress.
What is WordPress, and why is it the most popular publishing platform?
WordPress is a free, open source website management system that is commonly used to create and maintain websites. It provides users with an easy-to-use view that allows them to add content to their website, edit the layout and manage website settings.
The clear and intuitive interface of its control panel makes it easy to create and maintain a website, even for beginners.
WordPress is compatible with most browsers and devices, making it a good choice for creating and maintaining a website. It provides a wealth of documentation and support for users and developers.
Another advantage of open source is that it is relatively easy to change the author of a website without having to rebuild it.
Overall, WordPress is the most popular publishing platform because it offers an easy-to-use and versatile option for creating and maintaining websites.
Benefits of WordPress for small, medium and large businesses
WordPress offers many benefits for businesses of all sizes. Here are some examples:
- Ease of use: the control panel is clear and intuitive, making it easier to create and maintain your website. A small business does not need to acquire specific skills or training to create or maintain a website. Larger companies do not need to hire and train staff separately to maintain or develop a website.
- Affordability: it’s a free open source publishing system, so businesses don’t have to pay licence fees or other costs to deploy a website.
- Versatility: WordPress offers a wide range of plugins and themes that allow you to customise the look and functionality of your website to suit your needs. It’s easy for a small business to create a website that meets its needs and objectives. Large companies can be confident that it will scale to meet the needs of their customers.
- Compatibility: WordPress is compatible with most browsers and devices, making it a good choice for creating and maintaining a website. The website is easily accessible to all visitors, regardless of the device or browser they use.
- SEO-friendly: WordPress is SEO-friendly, which means that websites built on WordPress are more easily found by search engines. This is important for any business that wants to gain visibility online.
Overall, WordPress offers many benefits for businesses of all sizes, and is a good choice for those who want to create and maintain a website without high costs or technical skills. Success stories to help you get the most out of WordPress.
Website design refers to the design of the layout and functionality of a website. This includes choosing a theme, adding content and configuring website settings. When designing a WordPress website, the purpose of the website and the target audience are taken into account, as well as what kind of functionality you want to add to the website.
Website design also includes decisions on the structure and navigation of the website. The structure of a website determines how content is distributed between pages and how pages are linked to each other. Navigation, on the other hand, determines how visitors move around the website and how they find the content they need.
Website design is an important part of the website creation process, as it determines how the website will look and function. A well-designed website is clear, easy to use and visually appealing, which increases visitors’ interest in the website and helps to achieve the website’s goals.
Building a website with WordPress
Building a website takes place in several stages. Here is an overview of the steps commonly used:
- Choosing a platform: the first step in building a website is to choose the platform on which to build it. This could be, for example, a public WordPress.com platform or a dedicated server where WordPress is installed.
- Choosing a theme: a theme is the basis for the look and feel of a website, defining the colours, fonts and other graphic elements of the website. WordPress offers several themes to choose from, or you can purchase a paid theme for your website or create your own.
- Adding content: content is added to the website via the control panel. This could be text, images or videos, for example. Various functions can also be added to the website, such as a contact form or a newsletter.
- Configuring website settings: website settings can be configured through the control panel. These settings may include the name and address of the website, permalink settings or settings related to the content of the website, such as the length of previews of publications.
- Publishing the website: once the website is ready, it can be published and opened to the public. In the future, the website can be updated and maintained through the admin panel.
These are the general steps used to build a WordPress website. For each website, the building process may vary slightly depending on the type of functionality you want to add to the website and the look and feel you want to create.
WordPress website maintenance
WordPress website maintenance means updating and maintaining a website after it has been published. It includes several different tasks, such as:
- Updating content: the content of the website should be regularly updated with new information or offers. This keeps the website up-to-date and interesting for visitors.
- Updating extensions and themes: WordPress offers a wealth of extensions and themes that allow you to customise the functionality and look of your website. It is important to update these, as they may contain new features or fixes for old problems.
- Maintaining security: website security is an important part of maintenance. This includes checking extensions and themes for security risks and changing user passwords regularly.
- Maintaining website speed: The speed of a website affects its usability and search engine discoverability. Maintenance includes optimising the website to improve speed, for example by removing unnecessary extensions or optimising images.
- Taking backups: website data should be backed up regularly so that it can be restored if necessary, for example in the event of a hack or other accident.
Success Stories provides you with responsible and diligent website maintenance for years after the launch of your website.
Is WordPress suitable for international businesses?
Yes. It is also well suited to companies operating internationally. Here are a few reasons why WordPress can be a good choice for an international business:
- Multilingual: WordPress offers a wide range of multilingual themes and plugins that allow you to publish your website content in multiple languages. This makes the website more accessible in different language areas.
- Compatibility: WordPress is compatible with most browsers and devices, which means that the website is accessible to all visitors, regardless of the device or browser they use. This is important if you have a large international audience.
- Ease of use: the WordPress control panel is clear and intuitive, making it easier to create and maintain your website. This is important if the company has several people in different language areas who are responsible for maintaining the website.
- Versatility: WordPress offers a wide range of plugins and themes that allow you to customise the look and feel of your website. This makes it a good choice for an international company that needs a versatile and scalable website.
All in all, WordPress offers many benefits even for internationally operating businesses, and is a good choice for those who want to create and maintain a website without high costs or technical skills.
Can you run an online shop with WordPress?
WordPress offers many different plugins that can be used to turn a website into a functioning online store. These plugin extensions often offer a wide range of functions for setting up, maintaining and marketing an online store, such as product management, payment processing and shipping management.
If a company needs to set up an online store on WordPress, it is advisable to choose a plugin extension that specialises in e-commerce, provides the necessary functionality and is compatible with WordPress. Examples of such plugins are WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads.
WordPress makes it easy to set up and maintain an online store, with plugin extensions providing a clear and intuitive dashboard through which to manage your online store. However, when setting up an online store, other factors such as the layout of the online store and optimisation of the online store for search engines (SEO) must also be taken into account. These things affect how easy it is to find an online shop online and how interesting it looks to visitors.
WooCommerce e-commerce and product management
WooCommerce is an open source eCommerce platform designed for WordPress websites. It offers many tools and features for setting up, managing and developing an online store. With WooCommerce, you can add products and services to your online store, set prices and delivery charges, manage order and payment processing, and offer customers multiple payment methods. It also offers a range of plug-ins and add-ons that allow you to extend the functionality of your online store and improve the user experience.
WooCommerce can be used to display product information without the need for an online shop. Instead of an e-commerce function, WooCommerce can also be used as a quote request basket, where the ordering, delivery and payment method selection is done according to the company’s normal process.
Using videos on WordPress sites
A WordPress website can be used with videos easily, it offers several different ways to add videos to a website.
One way is to add a video as a link to a website. In this case, the video is played on the website on YouTube or Vimeo, and visitors can watch the video from the pages of these services. This method is easy to use, as videos are added to the website by adding links.
Another way is to add the video directly to the website. In this case, the video is uploaded to the website server and can be played on the website. However, this method often requires more technical skills, as adding videos to a website is done by adding HTML code.
In addition, WordPress offers several plugin extensions that allow you to add a wide variety of videos to your website. These plugin extensions often provide easy-to-use control panels that make it easy to add videos to a website.
Overall, WordPress offers many ways to add videos to a website, and the choice depends on the type of videos you want to add to the website and the technical skills of the website administrator.
Migrating from another system to WordPress
If your current website seems to be a barrier to growth, switching to WordPress may be a viable option. Switching from one system to another can feel challenging at first, but we’ve made the transition really easy. It is very likely that the content of your current website can be transferred to WordPress with a few clicks of a button. We will provide an introduction to the new system, which will be available on video for review. Let us know which system you’re thinking of switching to WordPress from, and we’ll make the transition as easy as possible.
Achieve your goals with a WordPress website
WordPress enables any business to achieve its goals when a website is carefully designed and built. Success Stories has designed and implemented several successful websites. We are happy to design a website for your business that meets its objectives. You can ask us anything you need to know about building a website. It pays to take advantage of our expertise well in advance of a project.
We won’t leave you alone with the site even after it’s published, but we’ll keep it up-to-date, functional and secure even after the launch.
Want to know more about marketing, e-commerce or WordPress?
Please contact us about a website redesign.